Questionable Research Practices
- Andrade C. (2021). HARKing, Cherry-Picking, P-Hacking, Fishing Expeditions, and Data Dredging and Mining as Questionable Research Practices. The Journal of clinical psychiatry, 82(1), 20f13804. https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.20f13804
- Banks, G. C., Rogelberg, S. G., Woznyj, H. M., Landis, R. S., & Rupp, D. E. (2016). Editorial: Evidence on Questionable Research Practices: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Journal of Business and Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-016-9456-7
- Bierman, D. J., Spottiswoode, J. P., & Bijl, A. (2016). Testing for Questionable Research Practices in a Meta-Analysis: An Example from Experimental Parapsychology. PloS One. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0153049
- Fraser, H., Parker, T., Nakagawa, S., Barnett, A., & Fidler, F. (2018). Questionable research practices in ecology and evolution. PLoS ONE. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0200303
- Gerrits, R. G., Mulyanto, J., Wammes, J. D., van den Berg, M. J., Klazinga, N. S., & Kringos, D. S. (2020). Individual, institutional, and scientific environment factors associated with questionable research practices in the reporting of messages and conclusions in scientific health services research publications. BMC health services research, 20(1), 828. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-020-05624-5
- Hooper, M., Barbour, V., Walsh, A., Bradbury, S., & Jacobs, J. (2018). Designing integrated research integrity training: authorship, publication, and peer review. Research Integrity and Peer Review, 3(1), 2. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41073-018-0046-2
- Kaiser, M., Drivdal, L., Hjellbrekke, J., Ingierd, H., & Rekdal, O. B. (2021). Questionable Research Practices and Misconduct Among Norwegian Researchers. Science and engineering ethics, 28(1), 2. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11948-021-00351-4
- Rajah-Kanagasabai, C. J., & Roberts, L. D. (2015). Predicting self-reported research misconduct and questionable research practices in university students using an augmented theory of planned behavior. Frontiers in Psychology. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2015.00535
- A 5 minute video which described some examples of questionable research practices. It is presented by Annemarie Zand Scholten, Assistant Professor, Economics and Business from the University of Amsterdam https://es.coursera.org/lecture/quantitative-methods/6-06-questionable-research-practices-zdcxz
- A talk from Nick Fox from the Department of Psychology at Rutgers University. He discusses how many researchers can use questionable research practices and the impact of this behaviour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVcb62B58EQ
- An infographic showing questionable research practices that may lead to research misconduct. https://ori.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/2018-12/Slippery%20Slope%20RM%20Rasterized.pdf
- A presentation talking through questionable research practices. Skeptic, Neuro (2015): The Resistible Rise of Questionable Research Practices. figshare. Presentation. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.1540908.v2
Last revised January 2022.
Please note that this list of resources is not intended to be exhaustive and should not be seen as a substitute for advice from suitably qualified persons. UKRIO is not responsible for the content of external websites linked to from this page. If you would like to seek advice from UKRIO, information on our role and remit and on how to contact us is available here.