Annual Conference 2022
Annual Conference 2022: ‘Good research practice: culture, environment and sustainability’
The theme of our charity’s 2022 conference was ‘Good research practice: culture, environment and sustainability’. Speakers from across the research community came together to discuss key topics in research integrity such as, how do we make sure research is high quality and of high ethical standards during these challenging times? How can we ensure rigour and reproducibility, adapt to new ways of working, reduce waste in research, and respond to the wider issues facing society?
Conference sessions explored how the research community can work together to:
- Safeguard and enhance good research practice.
- Embed a culture of integrity in the research that we do, in the organisations in which we work, and in the systems which fund, monitor, assess and disseminate research.
- Share perspectives and knowledge to support each other and to help ensure diversity and equality of participation.
- Respond to global challenges such as sustainability and the impact of the ongoing pandemic.
Sir Patrick Vallance, Government Chief Scientific Adviser opened the second day of the conference, sharing his perspective on good research practice. Other keynote speakers were:
- Dr Elisabeth Bik, winner of the 2021 John Maddox Prize
- Professor Astrid Eichhorn, chair of the ALLEA Working Group Climate Sustainability in the Academic System
- Professor James Wilsdon, Director, Research on Research Institute (RoRI)
Conference programme: to view the full conference programme, including the full speaker list and their biographies, please click here.
- Misconduct in biomedical research: inappropriate image duplications, Dr Elisabeth Bik, winner of the 2021 John Maddox Prize
- Climate sustainability of the academic system, Professor Astrid Eichhorn, chair of the ALLEA Working Group Climate Sustainability in the Academic System
- Can we fix it? Are incremental tweaks to research practices, cultures and assessment frameworks sufficient, or do we need more radical system change? Professor James Wilsdon, Director, Research on Research Institute (RoRI)
- Welcome to the UKRIO 2022 Conference. Professor Sir Ian Boyd, Chair, UK Research Integrity Office; President-elect, Royal Society of Biology; Non-Executive Director, UK Research and Innovation.
- An introduction to UK CORI. Professor Rachael Gooberman-Hill, Co-Chair, UK Committee on Research Integrity; Institute Director, Elizabeth Blackwell Institute, University of Bristol
- The work of the UK Reproducibility Network. Dr Neil Jacobs, Head of Open Research Programme, UK Reproducibility Network.
- A culture of integrity through the lens of supervision. Dr Sam Oakley, Researcher Development & Integrity Specialist, University of Glasgow
Further slides will be added shortly, along with videos of the sessions. Please check back for updates!
Please note that speakers have requested that their presentations are not hosted on any institutional websites. Copyright of the presentation rests with the speaker and/or their institution, unless otherwise stated. Use of any presentation for commercial gain or purposes requires the prior permission of the speaker. Disclaimer: the views represented are not necessarily those of the UK Research Integrity Office.
UKRIO’s Annual Conferences
Our charity has been holding annual research integrity conferences since 2013 and they are the premier UK research integrity events. Experts on research integrity discuss how to support a culture of high quality and ethical research, how to respond to challenges facing the research community, and update delegates on new developments in the sector. Delegates have the opportunity to update their knowledge, discuss the issues that matter to them, and make new connections.
Information on recent annual conferences can be found below. Due to COVID-19, we did not hold a conference in 2020, instead we began our regular series of research integrity webinars, which continues to this day.
- 2021 Annual Conference
- 2019 Annual Conference
- 2018 Annual Conference
- 2017 Annual Conference
- 2016 Annual Conference