Annual Conference 2023
Where permission has been given by speakers, their conference videos can be found on UKRIO’s YouTube channel.
Day 1: Wednesday 24 May 2023, 10:00-16:00 BST.
Ten years since the first UKRIO conference, we held our keynote event where our staff, volunteers, subscribing institutions, and the wider research community explored practical ways to ensure good research practice. This was a free, online conference in May 2023, with experts in research integrity discussing how we can create a culture and systems that promote high-quality, ethical research.
Conference sessions explored how the research community can work together to:
- Ensure research is high quality and worthy of public trust.
- Embed a culture of integrity in the research that we do, in the organisations in which we work, and in the systems which fund, monitor, assess and disseminate research.
- Ensure that research environments and systems promote good practice and high ethical standards, and respond to the wider issues facing society
- Share perspectives and knowledge to support each other and to help ensure diversity and equality of participation.
Keynote speakers were:
- Catrin Harris, MI TALENT and Dr Sarah Bennett, University of Warwick
- Dr Naomi Irvine, Associate, People Development Associates
- Dr Karen Stroobants, Vice-Chair CoARA, Director, CultureBase Consulting (slides)
- Dr Daniël Lakens, Eindhoven University of Technology
- Professor Paul Ralph, Dalhousie University
- Dr Esther Murray, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London
- Dr Andrew Porter, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute
This conference was aimed at anyone with an interest in good research practice, research integrity, research ethics, improving research culture, ensuring quality and high ethical standards in research, or in addressing sloppiness or misconduct in research, including: researchers, research students and research administrators; people with managerial, supervisory or leadership roles in research; and people working in the fields of research integrity, research ethics, research culture, research governance or research policy.
Day 2: Wednesday 25 May 2023, UKRIO Subscriber only event 10:00-16:00 BST.
For representatives of UKRIO’s subscribing institutions: a free, subscriber-only section of our virtual annual conference for presentations and discussions on key research integrity issues, updates on forthcoming work from UKRIO, and the opportunity to discuss the issues.
There were four sessions exclusively for UKRIO subscribers:
- Invited speaker Dr Daniel Barr, Principal Research Integrity Advisor, at RMIT University, Australia who shared his knowledge of using authorship dispute procedures.
- Sharing best practice forum. A subscriber-led session that discussed challenges and current issues as well sharing successes. Themes included research ethics, misconduct, research culture, and research integrity training.
- An update on developments at UKRIO and our support services for subscribers.
- Challenges to addressing research misconduct.
If you are interested in participating in a future conference, please email us.
Terms and conditions for UKRIO events can be found here.