Taking place in central London on 8 May, our 2019 conference gave an an update on the research integrity landscape, discussing the outcome of the House of Common’s Science and Technology Committee’s inquiry into research integrity, the revision of the Concordat to Support Research Integrity and other key developments. Keynote speakers discussed research integrity in the UK and international contexts, and also the vital role that leadership and team-building has in ensuring that research is high-quality and of high ethical standards.
Parallel sessions discussed developments in addressing research misconduct, enhancing the reliability and reproducibility of research, improving the reporting of clinical trials, and much more. A panel discussion closed the conference, drawing on a wide range of perspectives and expertise.
The conference also provided delegates the opportunity to discuss issues that matter to them and share their own experiences.
We have received excellent feedback on the event. We look forward to working on the topics and themes identified at the conference.
A selection of materials from the conference is available below. We will be adding further material to this page shortly.
Please note that speakers have requested that their presentations are not hosted on any institutional websites. Copyright of the presentation rests with the speaker and/or their institution, unless otherwise stated. Use of any presentation for commercial gain or purposes requires the prior permission of the speaker. Disclaimer: the views represented are not necessarily those of the UK Research Integrity Office.
- Susan Zimmerman, Executive Director, Secretariat on Responsible Conduct of Research, Canada
- Professor Leanne Hodson, Professor of Metabolic Physiology/BHF Senior Research Fellow in Basic Science, Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Oxford
- Dr Sion Parry, Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Oxford
- Professor Sir Bernard Silverman, Chair, UKRIO; former Home Office Chief Scientific Adviser
- Professor Deborah Ashby OBE, Director of the School of Public Health, Imperial College London; President of the Royal Statistical Society
- Jennifer Evans, Senior Research Manager, Higher Education Funding Council for Wales
- Professor Jacob George, Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine & Therapeutics at University of Dundee and R&D Director for East of Scotland NRS Node
- Professor Sarah Harper CBE, University of Oxford; Trustee, UKRIO
- Rowena Lamb, Head of Research Integrity, University College London
- Dr Rhys Morgan, Head of Policy, Integrity and Governance, Research Strategy Office, University of Cambridge
- Dr Elaine Morley, Senior Policy Advisor, UK Research and Innovation
- Professor Marcus Munafò, UK Reproducibility Network; Professor of Biological Psychology, University of Bristol
- Dr Nikki Osborne, Responsible Research in Practice; UKRIO Adviser
- James Parry, Chief Executive, UKRIO
- Samuel Roseveare, Policy Manager, Universities UK
- Dr Magdalena Skipper, Editor-in-Chief, Nature
- Dr Sanna Kaisa Spoof, Secretary General, Finnish National Board on Research Integrity TENK; Chair, European Network of Research Integrity Offices
- Dr Anne Taylor, Head of Grants Operations, Wellcome Trust
- Dr Birgit Whitman, Head of Research Governance and Integrity, University of Birmingham
Terms and conditions for UKRIO event bookings can be found here.