- Albert, T., & Wager, E. (2004). How to handle authorship disputes: a guide for new researchers. In The COPE Report 2003: Annual Report of the Committee on Publication Ethics. https://publicationethics.org/files/2003pdf12_0.pdf
- Citrome, L. (2017). Authorship: Musings about guests and ghosts. International Journal of Clinical Practice, 71(7). https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcp.12986
- Faulkes, Z. (2018). Resolving authorship disputes by mediation and arbitration. Research Integrity and Peer Review, 3(1), 12. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41073-018-0057-z
- Fong, E. A., & Wilhite, A. W. (2017). Authorship and citation manipulation in academic research. PLoS ONE. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0187394
- Hammer, M., & Miaskowski, C. (2017). Authorship Ethics in the Era of Team Science. Oncology Nursing Forum. https://doi.org/10.1188/17.ONF.655-657
- International Committee of Medical Journal Editors. (2015). Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals. http://www.icmje.org/icmje-recommendations.pdf
- Lucas, G. N. (2010). Singapore statement on research integrity. Sri Lanka Journal of Child Health. https://doi.org/10.4038/sljch.v39i4.2476
- Martini, R. (2017). Figuring out the “who” and the “where” of authorship. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 84(1), 4–6. https://doi.org/10.1177/0008417417691742
- Marušic, A., Hren, D., Mansi, B., Lineberry, N., Bhattacharya, A., Garrity, M., … Peña, T. (2014). Five-step authorship framework to improve transparency in disclosing contributors to industry-sponsored clinical trial publications. BMC Medicine. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-014-0197-z
- Mongeon, P., Smith, E., Joyal, B., & Larivière, V. (2017). The rise of the middle author: Investigating collaboration and division of labor in biomedical research using partial alphabetical authorship. PloS One, 12(9), e0184601–e0184601. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0184601
- Scott-Lichter, D. (2012). CSE’s White Paper on Promoting Integrity in Scientific Journal Publications, 2012 Update. CSE’s White paper on promoting integrity in scientific journal publications. http://www.councilscienceeditors.org/wp-content/uploads/entire_whitepaper.pdf
Guidelines and Discussion Documents
Webinars and Video
Last revised October 2019.
Please note that this list of resources is not intended to be exhaustive and should not be seen as a substitute for advice from suitably qualified persons. UKRIO is not responsible for the content of external websites linked to from this page. If you would like to seek advice from UKRIO, information on our role and remit and on how to contact us is available here.
UKRIO would like to thank our Advisory Board and other volunteers for their help in putting this list together.